Technical Leader. Hands-On Architect. Infrastructure Creator. Mentor.
I build software systems, architectures, and teams that work well together to create great products. I believe strongly in servant leadership, cross-functional teams, and the importance of culture. I see software architecture as a means to use my deep technical expertise to enable people and promote core values.
August 2019 - Current
Various - Software Architecture Consulting
Providing both high-level (architecture, strategy, process, culture, mentorship) and low-level (hands-on implementation of technial designs, backend services, and cloud infrastructure) consulting services to multiple client companies.
Clients include a series-D insurance startup with a billion dollar valuation and a stealth startup developing generative video technology for personal and professional content creation.
February 2016 - March 2019
Globality - Chief Architect
Architected and built core systems for a hundred+ microservice ecosystem. Helped grow the product and team in close collaboration with the CTO and VP of Engineering. Globality raised $100M in funding from SoftBank Vision Fund in January 2019.
- Wrote large portions of the product, including core services related to conversational AI, workflow state machines, knowledge representation, and data processing pipelines.
- Partnered with product, customer success, and InfoSec to lead many mission-critical initiatives, including a next-generation user experience, enterprise approvals, and data security.
- Created open source libraries for core infrastructure to accelerate microservice development.
- Led engineering best practices, technical designs, and release processes.
- Established a DevOps function and built foundations for using AWS with Terraform, Ansible, and CircleCI.
- Enabled adoption of new technologies including ECS, Elasticsearch, and Neo4J.
August 2001 - January 2016
Location Labs - Chief Scientist
Joined when there were fewer than ten employees; helped grow the organization through profitability and acquisition. Held many roles, launched multiple product lines, and wore many hats as part of building core software and growing teams. Location Labs was acquired by AVG and then by Avast.
- Wrote the company’s initial location-based services product; led deployment and launch within SK telecom’s network.
- Designed and helped build a pioneering, pre-smartphone mobile mapping and navigation application; launched on Sprint in conjunction with InterActive Corp (IAC) brand properties.
- Created a first-of-its-kind, privacy-aware location aggregation product; authored integrations with all major US cellular carriers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon).
- Scaled pre-installed mobile device management software to tens of millions of devices and bursts of thousands of events per second.
- Led engineering best practices and adoption of many new technologies; championed use of Python, Jenkins, Docker, and microservices.
- Managed teams, mentored extensively, and ran several company-wide trainings.
August 1997 - May 2001
Brown University - BS Mathematics and Computer Science
Graduated summa cum laude with Phi Beta Kappa honors.
- San Francisco, CA
- Open to remote work
- Distributed Systems
Key open source projects
Available upon request.